Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Super Mario RPG - First Impressions

So Clive has been mentioning Super Mario RPG a lot lately, so I start to realize that I never really played it much.  Since I have it, and since he keeps mentioning it, I may as well give it a chance.  Here's some first impressions I've had of the game:

So far, I'm liking the music.  The orchestrated classic Super Mario themes are excellent, and while upbeat, still feel very RPG-y.

Toad is dick.  I'm sick of him five minutes into the game.  Mind you, I'm saying this as someone who ALWAYS plays as Toad in any Mario Kart game.  Hopefully he gets less dickish, or I may have to shove a wrench up his ass.

It's kind of strange that Jump is a special power for Mario.  You would think that would be his regular attack, since it's always his regular attack in "real life." 

I like that you can select a bonus for leveling up, instead of just getting the generic boost.  Adds a tiny bit of customization to the game.

The Save Points thing bums me out.  I always wish there were more places to save the game in SNES and NES RPGs though.

So I have a crying frog in my party.  Yup.

The first half hour's been alright.  A little slow going, though.  I hope it picks up a bit, or I may be forced to abandoned it and get yelled at by Clive again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment