Friday, January 25, 2013

Hook!


Last night, I randomly found out that they made a Hook beat 'em up game for the arcade.  I decided at that moment that I MUST PLAY THIS.  Sadly, it was late and I'm old so I went to bed.  However, I made up for it today by playing it!

It was...fine.  You get to play as five characters from the movie including Peter Pan, Rufio and the fat kid.  Each of them have different power, reach, and speed.   I played most of the game as the fat kid as he is awesome in this game with max power, though little reach and speed. 

So the first level has an SNES version of the music from the movie, so I was really getting into it.  It was basic beat 'em up fare with pirates, but Hook music!  However, by the second level, the music got generic, and the game started to slowly regress into repetitive.  About the only interesting moment from stages 2-5 was the boss battle of 3 where you fight 2 Hook?s.  There is a nice little attention to detail, in that SPOILER just like Hook in the movie, the Hooks were wearing wigs, and they had to take time to pick it up when it came off.



Sadly, I was unable to capture the wig coming off as it was very quick when it happened.
 The game picks up again in the sixth and final stage with some cool little details, such as Smee running off with treasures (if you are able to hit him, he drops his sack along with at least half a dozen treasures), and the final battle occurring right near the crocodile, just like the movie.  Sadly, no ticking sound.



The sixth stage of the game really saved it for me.  I will definitely pick it up to play again some time, I'm sure.  It's about 40 minutes, so it's not a large time commitment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment