Thursday, January 31, 2013

So I Hear The Lion King is Hard

Even though I grew up loving Disney movies, I can't recall a single video game I ever got for any of the movies that I watched over and over and over again.  Now that I'm (physically) grown up, I have the opportunity to make up for lost time and play some of these undiscovered (to me) gems.

After talking to a friend about The Lion King for Super Nintendo and how hard it was, I decided to read up on it a bit, because you see, this friend is not only female, but she doesn't play any video games.  Well, after reading up on it, it seems that there are a decent number of people out there who agree with her.  Now it's my turn.


I gotta say.  This game looks and sounds gorgeous.  But how does it play?

Well, first I come upon a lizard.  I easily bounce off his head.

Next, a porcupine.  I roar (I'm Simba as a kid, so it's more like a meow) at him.  He flips, I jump on him.  That wasn't bad at all.

Next, a bug.  This'll be easy.  Wait...I jumped off of him and he didn't die.  Now he EXPLODES.  WHAT THE FUCK?  There goes a third of my life. 

The collision detection is a little wonky in this game.  Just as I think I figure out where to jump on something, I hit what I assume is the same spot, and I lose some life.  This really comes out in the first boss battle with a hyena.  I jumped on the hump when he was tired, and it counted as a hit.  Good, I'll to that again.  Oops...that hurt me.  I tried two more places, and I was dead.  Luckily the next life, I got him in two hits.

I was rewarded with JAMES EARL JONES


This game really does look and sound cool.

Okay, after a mini-game where I catch 1 bug with Pumbaa.  I'm now in the song "I Just Can't Wait to Be King"  There's no enemies early on, just a bit of platforming.  I can do this.  After roaring at a couple of monkeys I get thrown on top of an ostrich.  After literally ten seconds, I start to wonder if I'm supposed to do something.  Well, suddenly and arrow points up...oooooh this is going to be like God of War.  I try pressing up, nothing.  So I jump, good...and I land on a pig and INSTADEATH.  There goes my last life.  This sucks.  Apparently the arrow was warning me to jump in like 5 seconds, not right away.

Apparently, there is 1 continue, so I use it.

I get to the ostrich again, and jump over the pig.  Good!  Next I duck a birds nest.  Then another pig.  Now there's TWO up arrows.  This must be double jump!  GUESS NOT!  I jump off the ostrich onto the ground and I'm dead again.  I have to do the whole level again to get to this spot.  Two up arrows, single jump.  HIT THE NEST.  One more try.  Get to the spot, double jump onto the nest?  Nope, that wasn't right either INSTADEATH.  Game over.


Rafiki looks disappointed in me.  Now I'm disappointed with myself.

Oh well.  Guess I'll have to try an easier game.  Lion King is too hard for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment